Tuesday, January 8, 2013

TIP: 3/16" to 1/8" Launch Lug

Using a 20/50 engine adapter I loaded up my Super Alpha with a B6-4 for a soccer field launch.

When building the model, I built it for 24 mm engines. I installed a 3/16" diameter launch lug at the fin root joint.
My camera tripod (schoolyard) launcher is set up for a 1/8" rod.
I had to adapt the Super Alpha to fly with a 1/8" rod.


I carry 20/50 engine adapters (18mm to 24mm adapters) in my launch box but have never had to deal with a 3/16" lug on a 1/8" rod before.
Why not make and adapter for the 3/16" lug?

Using a 1/8" by 1 3/4" launch lug, I wrapped some masking tape on both ends of the 1/8" lug. A strip of tape 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" long is a good starting point.

It took another piece of tape between the two end wraps to get a good friction fit.
I wanted this lug adapter to be removable to fly the model on a 3/16" rod.

Here the 1/8" lug adapter is being slipped in the 3/16" lug from the rear.
Double check that you can remove the lug before adding anymore shim tape wraps.
I was able to push the lug out from the top using a dowel.

This lug adapter is now a permanent part in my launch box.

1 comment:

  1. Another brilliant solution! I've run into this problem simply because I didn't want to interrupt my launch time to change rods. This would be quicker.

    One question: Wouldn't it be better to insert the adapter through the top of the lug and lock it in with slightly more tape, since launch would put downward pressure on the adapter?

    ReplyDelete