Months go by, things are good, and then you have one of "those" launch days.
Nothing disastrous, it's just some flights weren't stable or vertical.
I figured I had better launch my most powerful first before the winds got any stronger.
My Estes MEGA MOSQUITO was first in the air with a E9-4 engine. After a good boost to 700' the 18" spill holed parachute caught the breeze. It landed near the mid-power pads.
Here's where things got screwy.
After leaving the launch rod, the Semroc LASER X went unstable!
With a C6-5 in it's tail there were two tight loops then went horizontal with the chute ejection 30 feet up.
This model had flown three times previously and was stable with B6-4 engines. No damage except for a missing fin toothpick that broke off right before it was slid down the launch rod.
My Quest AEROSPACE ONE had it's eighth flight using a D12-5.
Boost was normal but it starting spinning rapidly during the coast phase.
I would estimate the altitude to be around 650'. Again, another long walk to pick it up.
On the next two rockets I placed a wrap of tape around the shroud lines close to the canopy so the chute couldn't fully open.
Here's the Estes GBU-23 PAVEWAY III.
This one hasn't flown for over two years. Today launched with an Estes C6-5 to 600'.
One fin was broken at the root edge, an easy fix.
Last up for me was the kitbash KOKOPELLI flown with another C6-5.
Most all models were turning into the wind, this one was no different.
I would guess altitude was around 500'. The reefed parachute set it down without damage.
Too much wind for me but I got everything back. A pretty good day.