Sunday, December 11, 2016

N.E.F.A.R. Launch, Bunnell, FL, December 10, 2016

Months go by, things are good, and then you have one of "those" launch days.
Nothing disastrous, it's just some flights weren't stable or vertical.

The winds were up, gusts from 15 to 20 mph. We all did out best to angle the launch rods so the rockets would drift back to us. Mine never seem to land close.

I figured I had better launch my most powerful first before the winds got any stronger.
My Estes MEGA MOSQUITO was first in the air with a E9-4 engine. After a good boost to 700' the 18" spill holed parachute caught the breeze. It landed near the mid-power pads.



Here's where things got screwy.
After leaving the launch rod, the Semroc LASER X went unstable!
With a C6-5 in it's tail there were two tight loops then went horizontal with the chute ejection 30 feet up.
This model had flown three times previously and was stable with B6-4 engines. No damage except for a missing fin toothpick that broke off right before it was slid down the launch rod.





My Quest AEROSPACE ONE had it's eighth flight using a D12-5.
Boost was normal but it starting spinning rapidly during the coast phase.
I would estimate the altitude to be around 650'. Again, another long walk to pick it up.





On the next two rockets I placed a wrap of tape around the shroud lines close to the canopy so the chute couldn't fully open.
Here's the Estes GBU-23 PAVEWAY III.
This one hasn't flown for over two years. Today launched with an Estes C6-5 to 600'.
One fin was broken at the root edge, an easy fix.




Last up for me was the kitbash KOKOPELLI flown with another C6-5.

Most all models were turning into the wind, this one was no different.
I would guess altitude was around 500'. The reefed parachute set it down without damage.

Too much wind for me but I got everything back. A pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment