Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Estes Solar Warrior (#3225) Build, Part 2, Prepping Balsa


Here's all the balsa removed from the laser cut sheets.
There are four "T" shaped fins and on the upper right, four smaller forward fins that glue to the leading edge of the largest rear fins.




When fins are laser cut fins I don't "gang sand" them. No reason to, being laser cut they should all be exactly the same size.


On the left is before sanding the edges. The inset picture is after sanding off the burnt edge and the hold-down ticks. I don't sand off any more than necessary, just enough to clean and square them up.


Laser cutting doesn't give you a 90 degree straight cut. The top of the sheet cut is wider than the bottom like an open wedge shape.

On the right (inset picture) is the before picture. The "T" piece sets in the slot at an slight angle.
On the left is the same piece after sanding the outside fin edge square with a sanding block.

2 comments:

  1. Well this makes me feel better as I have Never been able to make a 90degree cut with my x-acto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you building this one, it was my first build as a BAR and I still love the thing. I think it's a great design.

    ReplyDelete