Thursday, June 21, 2018

Apogee Mini Condor Boost Glider Build, Part 1, Parts

Here's another build for contest flying at the August NARAM. There aren't many competition boost glider kits available. This one fits the bill for a 13mm A engine model.

This Apogee produced kit is a downscale version of the Chinese Sky Condor boost glider. I have built and launched the larger Sky Condor with good success. The larger Sky Condor B/G kit has tung wood parts instead of the traditional balsa we know.

This picture from the Apogee website.





All the parts:
The instructions are very well drawn and the steps well explained.
The BT-5 pop pod tube seems long.
An engine block is included but not really needed for a competition model





Parts of interest:
The boom (glider body) is laser cut from spruce.
The white parts are cast at Apogee from urethane resin. They are well molded with no bubbles.
3 feet of 100 lb. braided Kevlar shock cord.
2" X 18" Mylar streamer
1/32" thick (actually thin) balsa horizontal and vertical tail pieces

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris, Quick question...what motor are you going to fly this on? Are there any other 13mm out there besides Estes' A3-4T and A10-3T? To me, the delays on these two engines are too long for a glider model. I've got a couple of A engine gliders on my build list, but I'm sort of reluctant to build them because of the lack of short delay mini-As. Wish they still made the A3-2T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      The NARAM competition is 1/2A Boost Glider. I do agree, I wish the A3-2t was still available.

      Delete
  2. Another comment. The body tube length is OK. Back in the 80s, I built all of my boost/gliders with longer pop pod tubes. They moved the CG far enough forward to assure a straight-up, stable boost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      I already have finished the model and did cut the pod back a bit! With the lighter 1/2A engine it should be stable. (We'll see!)

      Delete