Monday, June 25, 2018

Estes Dragon Ship 7 #1345, Part 18, Back To It! Fins and Guns



Before masking off the removable fin root edge, the raw edge balsa got a "sealant" wipe of medium CA glue and very light sanding.

The bottom removable fin had the curved root edge masked off for the gray spray paint.

Before spraying the model an overall dull coat, The "hook" fin was masked off, leaving it with a gloss finish. I figured the smooth paint would allow an easier slip fit of the removable fin.
This mask line at the root isn't really critical, I used regular brown masking tape.

After the dull coat dried -

The launch lug guns had the paint scraped off for a better bond on the stand-offs. These were glued on to line up with the flame decals coming off the front.



Before gluing in the engine mount, the back end of the main body tube got some black applied with a Sharpie.

The rear engine mount centering ring is recessed about 1/16".

5 comments:

  1. This design is growing on me. I really dig the flame decals positioned in front of the black gun thingies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      I never liked this design, but it did grow on me too.
      "Thingies" is a good word for the guns.

      Delete
    2. ... not sure if you've heard of the terms "greeble" and "nurnie" ...
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble

      I do admit that back when Patrol Cruiser Excalibur and Dragon Ship 7 were released, I didn't care for them, but grew to like them long after they went out of production -- mostly after having watched some of those old serials from Republic Pictures.

      Delete
    3. Hi Naoto,
      I remember showing these designs to my Mom. She thought they looked like the old Buster Crabbe, Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers rockets. I met Buster Crabbe at Knott's Berry Farm in 1979 and got my Mom an autograph!

      Delete
    4. Speaking of Buster Crabbe... I did get a chuckle with a bit of dialogue from the late 1970s Buck Rogers in the 25h Century TV show in which Buster Crabbe made a guest appearance (episode "Planet of the Slave Girls") as Brigadier Gordon:
      Gordon (Crabbe): "I've been doing this since before you were born"
      Buck (Gerard) You think so?"
      Gordon (Crabbe) "Young man, I *know* so"

      Indeed, he did play both Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon (late 1930s) -- before Gil Gerard was born (early 1940s).

      Delete