Saturday, June 2, 2018

Estes Dragon Ship 7 #1345, Part 1, Canopy Patterns

I didn't include an "all parts picture" on this build. It was assembled over time when I was waiting for parts to arrive.
A clone kit is available through a vendor but I thought I could put it together for less money.
Many of the basic parts were in my spare parts drawer.



I found the instructions at JimZs.
Towards the bottom are some fin tracings and a rough scan of the rectangular canopy.

The fin scan seemed to be the correct size, so I added a 1" reference to my re-draw. I could have ordered some laser cut fins from ERockets, but what fun is that?





The canopy looks to be 2 3/4" long at the sides. There is a dorsal fin  that extends about 3/4 the way up from the back. (Sure I'm making guesses, but it'll be close.)




The vertical alignment lines (added while in Corel Draw) showed how "out of true" the scan was.


This is the before -
The scan seemed distorted, the flap and tabs weren't symetrical.



Here's the re-draw. After the canopy was assembled I had to adjust the curvature of the front and back outlines to better fit the curve of the body tube.


Here's the fin and canopy patterns.

If you'd like a copy, Patreon members can email me at:
oddlrockets@bellsouth.net
and request the Dragon Ship 7 PDF

Note: These patterns are for individual use only, for making a single clone.
These are not to be used for commercial use or kit production.

No comments:

Post a Comment