Friday, June 15, 2018

Estes Dragon Ship 7 #1345, Part 14, More Decals




The wing decals are slightly different size. Be sure to check the width of the rear skid fins. The get the wider wing decal. The smaller wing decal goes on the dorsal fin under the canopy.






Here's where I realized the decals printed small.
The two piece front tube decals didn't match up!

By now I'm annoyed. I'm going to leave all the other decals in place and reprint the front tube decals a bit larger.

Even with the decals a bit small they still look okay. There is more border around the edges of the wing decals.
All the root edges get a rivet line decal. The dots had to be pieced together around the canopy.


Here's how it came out. The red/orange isn't as bright as the kit decals would be. Those had a white background. Heck, it's a clone. There are usually compromises on a scratch clone. It still captures the feel of the original with the different red/maroon coloring.

I kept track of how many decals were applied. So far - 
88 decal pieces! These decals took 7 3/4 hours! 
I thought the Estes Interceptor was rough, those decals took 4 hours. 
There are still rivet lines to go on the detachable fin.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Never would have guessed it would take that long to decal this model. As interesting as the design is and as nice as your version turned out that’s a bit much - guess we can understand why the Dragon Ship had such a short production run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      Sometimes it's interesting to keep track of the assembly time. If I were to sell this model on Ebay I would never get enough for it to pay for the time it took to apply all the decals. I'm just glad the home print decals went on without any real problems.

      Delete
  2. Please show how the detachable fin looks on and off the model. I’m still trying to wrap my head on why a detachable fin is nessassary....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      I'll try to take some pictures of the detachable fin (on and off) when I get back to Orlando.

      Delete
  3. The detachable fin allows the rocket to sit square on its “belly” when you display it - like when a rocket ship lands in a Flash Gordon serial - the fin is necessary when you fly it.

    ReplyDelete