Sunday, June 10, 2018

Launch! N.E.F.A.R., Bunnell, FL, June 9, 2018

The heat is on!
NEFAR hasn't had a lunch since April. To make ammends, there were no launch fees today.



My first up was an Odd'l Rockets LITTLE GREEN MAN with a German Quest B6-4.
Textbook launch to about 350'.
Winds seemed low at ground level but all my launches had long recovery walks. Of course  I got there a bit late and was parked farthest away from the LPR launchers.




A kit bash of the Estes STM-12 followed.
Re-named the B-32M SPIKE, today it was launched with a D12-5.

Altitude was an estimated 750' with a spill holed chute for recovery.








Second flight of the Estes PHOTON PROBE. An Estes C6-5 probably got it to 650'.
By now I've angled the launch rod into the wind. It didn't help much, another long walk!





Adam Marquardt drag raced his two saucers, both with D12-0 engines.
Adam is a Sophomore at the University of Central Florida studying Aerospace Engineering.

I wish this was a better picture, it was a fun launch.






A Quest TOMAHAWK SLCM Cruise Missile was launched with an Estes C6-5 to an estimated 650'.
Boost was a bit squirrely with some coning. I think that open air scoop on the underside has something to do with it. 





The rain was coming so the launchers were being broken down. I had one more launch to sneak in.
This is usually my first rocket up, today it was my last.

The Estes CURVILINEAR had it's 14th launch with a German Quest B6-4. Estimated altitude was 400'.
I didn't get a launch picture. It drifted farther than all the others, touching down near the old barns. Good thing I spotted the orange parachute in the tall weeds.

Five up, five down with just a small broken ventral fin on the Photon Probe. HOT - but a good day.

4 comments:

  1. Photon Probe is one of my favorites - unfortunately mine is on the disabled list due to the motor mount breaking loose. It was my first relatively complicated rocket I built as a BAR and the first one I was proud of the finish job I did. I did change the paint scheme - don’t care much for purple so I used orange instead. Just a good looking great flying rocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      Agreed, a great design. I did two builds at the same time, the second Photon Probe was orange. http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2017/05/estes-photon-probe-3026-build-finished.html

      Delete
  2. Great photos Chris! Getting the hang of the new camera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Buzz,
      Starting to figure it out. I wish the burst was a little more than five shots per second. But for the price I can't complain.
      Maybe I should shoot video and do some screen captures. I don't think the focus would be as good though.

      Delete