Friday, December 14, 2018

Estes Mini Mean Machine Coming Soon -

This seems to be Estes' month for re-issue rockets.
A mini engine Mini Mean Machine is coming soon.
Here's the link: CLICK HERE
Where's the nose cone in that parts picture?

This one reflects the new blue and white decor of the large version.
On YORF, TBZEP said it best: "Looks like the original Mini Mean Machine had an affair with Blue Bird Zero."



The Mini Mean Machine is BT-20 based and 39" long!
When this model was first talked about, I built my own version called the Spaced Needle using 18mm engines.
I went back and forth with the idea of a center separation but decided to go with a nose cone blow and small parachute.
I should have made the model with a break in the center. Being so long, the model was hard to transport. Returning from the club launch, the body tube was bent when cargo shifted around in the back of the car.

I hope to build it again, it turned out well. There are some long lines of black decals alternating with chrome Monokote trim.

4 comments:

  1. I’ve come close a couple of times to buying an Estes Fletcher and modding it into a Mini Mean Machine. Other than the fins and decals they’re pretty much the same.
    Except for the choice of font for the name decal I rather like the current MM paint scheme though the solid black works too as long as you don’t get a “sun warp”!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      Estes did say they changed to the new color scheme because of the heat and warp factor.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure the next re-issue will be the Multi-Roc, as it and the Mini Mean Machine are both were listed as re-issues in the 2018 catalog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown,
      I think you might be right, although I'm hoping for the 1/100 scale Saturn 1B. I saw John Boren launch the Multi-Roc at NARAM 60.

      Delete