Friday, December 21, 2018

Estes Orbital Transport, Kit #K-42, Part 1, Parts

I forgot the parts post - #1!!!


This will be a spare parts build. When you see it like this it doesn't look like there was much in the bag!
Some changes - 
A heavy wall BT-50H tube is substituted. The glider will still use a standard BT-20 to keep the weight down for a better glide.
An Apogee plastic nose cone better fits the thicker wall BT-50H diameter. It's almost as long as the BNC-50Y nose cone used in the kit. In the end nobody will be able to tell the difference, unless you are a REAL rocket nerd.
The decal sheet is from Semroc. The decal says "Semroc Aerospace Lines". The original kit read "Astron Aerospace Lines". I might print up a new decal name.
I will be cutting out all the balsa pieces from 3/32" and 1/16" balsa sheet. That's the way it was done in 1969!
The launch lugs and dowel stand off are some scrap pieces from the spare parts drawers.
An 18" Odd'l Rockets parachute will be used, probably end up cut down to 15" diameter.

2 comments:

  1. Love the Orbital Transport! My favorite rocket. I built a 1.68X upscale (BT-60 main body tube). Mostly basswood, some balsa. That was loads of fun to cut out by hand. I took 2nd place at NSL-2017 in upscale competition. I got beat by John Boren by a few points. But my build was more complex ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      The O.T. is one of my favorites, too. It's been on my to-do list for a while. These kids don't know how easy they have it with laser cut everything.

      Delete