Sunday, December 16, 2018

Semroc Saturn 1B, Build, OOP #KS-1, Part 46, Capsule Coupler

A black fish paper coupler is glued to the back of the capsule assembly.
TIP: Coupler edges are typically cut at a slight angle. For a stronger glue joint, sand one side of the coupler flat.
TIP: The other side can be rounded for smoother insertion and less chance of peeling the inside edge of the BT-70 tube below it.


I use very little glue to initially tack the coupler in place. If it ends up off center that little bit of glue is easier to cut and reglue the coupler.





Test fit the coupler in the BT-70 tube to be sure it is centered. After you are happy with the coupler positioning, then you can apply a glue fillet on the inside joint.


Build time this post: 0 hour, 15 minutes
Total build time so far: 41 hours, 30 minutes

4 comments:

  1. I say this is one of the most intense Saturn 1B build I have ever followed. Are you building two Saturn's? You may have to take a break after this build. Are you going to launch this bird? Good work my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank,
      I think this one is more detailed because I changed a few things to the SA-205, Apollo 7 version. Only building one of these. I'm ready to take a break on this one now! WAY too much time for a build. I probably wouldn't be brave enough to launch a finished build like this.

      Delete
  2. I miss the old fishpaper couplers. They might have needed a bit of sanding, but never so tight like many new couplers, where peeling a layer of paper often leaves a couple too loose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      I agree! The black fish paper couplers seemed to fit better. I do like my couplers longer than the standard old length of 1". Those new brown couplers can be too tight and require sanding for s slip fit. Don't get me started on the red ones!

      Delete