Saturday, December 8, 2018

Semroc Saturn 1B, Build, OOP #KS-1, Part 38, New Vector Control Housings & Capsule Cover



Just under half of the dowel back was carved off.
Leave a little more than half the dowel diameter so a body tube curve can be sanded on the underside.

My old sanding block has a curved side. The 220 made a concave dip on the underside.


Here's the fit of the housing on the large kit tube.

The housings were then cut to length.

Changing the model over to the SA-205 configuration means more changes.
I never liked the drawn details on the capsule wrap. The SA-205 had a white protective cover that was jettisoned with the escape tower after launch.
This printed wrap looks more like the capsule after the tower and cover were gone. The wrap was peeled off and the glue cleaned off.


I printed off another wrap and flipped it over with the print on the inside.
I'll be adding some subtle raised details later on.

Build time this post: 0 hour, 30 minutes
Total build time so far: 35 hours, 50 minutes

2 comments:

  1. One thing to keep in mind is the umbilical cover is positioned differently between the block I and block II Apollo. With the block I configuration the umbilical is located near the hatch, while on block II it was positioned on the opposite side. The Estes NCK-29 instructions show the positioning for block I. If I'm not mistaken this is the same with the plastic kits from Revell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      You sure know your rockets! I will keep that in mind when the time comes to put it all together.

      Delete