Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Finishing Up Saturn 1B - For Now

I'm going to be taking a break on the Saturn 1B build for a while.
I will come back to it later.

I don't like to suspend a build, but to be honest, I need a break!
We've all been there, we get halfway through a kit and move on to something else.
This kit is very involved. I've explained how to get through the hardest steps, the capsule tower and all the small detail work.

If you are doing the entire build -
TIP: Pre-paint the black and white alternating H-1 engine tubes before gluing it all together. It's difficult to mask the tubes when they are side by side.

I've rarely done this on the blog, only the Centurion Project and the Estes Klingon were stopped before final assembly and finishing.
The Klingon was beyond frustrating to get a good fit of all the mixed vacu-form, wood and paper  parts. The Centurion was stopped when I couldn't decide on the best way to lock in the interchangeable motor mounts.

3 comments:

  1. No worries, Chris. We've all been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding! My Dr. Zooch Mercury has been waiting roughly two years for an escape tower. Still flies well but I’ll admit it just doesn’t look right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don’t blame you! I got one of these right before it went OOP. After following your build I might have to pass on this one! Ugh!!

    Cheers,

    Philip

    ReplyDelete