Sunday, December 23, 2018

Estes Orbital Transport, Kit #K-42, Part 4, Cutting Out The Balsa




I double checked the squareness of some parts with my machine  square. Hold the balsa and square up to the light to check it.
The two large wing pieces are glued together.
Here they are under my trusty clear cutting board. The top has a pebbled surface, the underside is smooth.
With the counter top underneath, this provides an even heavy pressure for gluing.




Here's how they came out.
It took very little surface sanding to smooth out the joint.

There was some slight sanding at the root edge to get both pieces flat for gluing onto the body tube.
I tried a dry fit of the the scram jet engine housing.
After doing this I knew the balsa would have to be filled before assembly. The short BT-5 tube seams will be filled before gluing them side by side.

Most of the wing edges remain square, the angle cut pieces in the housing will be rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment