Friday, December 28, 2018

Estes Orbital Transport, Kit #K-42, Part 10, Decal Correction

Working a bit ahead - I wanted the decals to read "ASTRON" like the original Estes kit. The decals I bought from Semroc read: "Semroc Astronautics Lines". This is not a big deal, I just wanted it to read like the model I built in the 1970s.



To get an approximate point size, I measured the decal words "Astronautics Lines". Those two words were 1.64" wide.
I went into Corel Draw and found the Arial Bold font to be very close to the original used.
I set the words "ASTRONAUTICS LINES" to 1.64" wide. That made the type font 9.742 points.

Read aloud, it sounded redundant. Then I realized the Estes kit wording was "ASTRON AEROSPACE LINES".


Here's what I ended up with for the main booster and glider bodies.
If you would like these decals, Patreon members can email me at oddlrockets@bellsouth.net
and ask for the Orbital Transport PDF.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris, Just now catching up with this build series. Very cool.

    A few posts back you mentioned the old school kit fin method requiring laying out the patterns and cutting the fins from balsa stock. I chuckled because that's how I recently did mine! That's one heck of a lot of parts. My hand is still sore. Can't wait to start all of the filling and sanding....
    Anyhow, great build thread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      Old school - nothing wrong with old school! I honestly think these "kids" are missing some important skills by not using sharp knives to cut out parts. Just keep the band-aids handy.
      There was a lot of filling, more small fins than I remember.

      Delete
    2. Cutting out the parts from balsa sheet wouldn't be too new for folks who had built "stick-and-tissue" model aeroplanes.
      The first kit I'd picked up that featured laser-cut parts was one of the kits from Stellar Dimensions.

      Delete