Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Estes Orbital Transport, Kit #K-42, Part 6, Scramjet Assembly



The open inside ends of the tubes got a wipe of CA glue.

Sometimes I'll fill the inside seams if they are visible on the finished model. These scramjet tubes are BT-5 and small and not easy to fill.

All the outside tube seams were filled with CWF and primer/filler.


Two sets of tubes are glued side by side.

The instructions have you glue the ramjet assemblies onto the wing. I'll fill the balsa and assemble them off the model. There is no way to fill the grain when everything is glued up.


You'll notice that the Scramjet assembly parts are already CWF filled and the primer/filler sanded before assembly off the wing.
There is now way to fill the naked balsa after it would be glued to the bottom of the wing.



The sides are glued on first with 1/2" of the tubes extending out the back.

I used my machine square to be sure the sides were glued on straight.


The 1/16" thick top pieces were short!

I'll have to cut and fill new pieces that will reach all the way across.

6 comments:

  1. Are BT-5s too small to use contact paper/chalk board paper on the inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      That's not a bad idea! They are pretty small though -
      I'll probably just paint the interiors a flat black with a brush.

      Delete
  2. I’m partial to Sharpie markers for this sort of details. Seems I can never find a decent brush when I need one - usually all stiff and bristle-bare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      If you've followed the blog, you know I use Sharpies!
      My Mother was a professional fine artist and I was fortunate to use some good brushes when I was younger. I learned how to clean them well after use.
      https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search?q=cleaning+brushes

      Delete
  3. Yep... ran into the same problem with the nacelle part being a tad narrow. I have considered scanning the pattern sheet and make the adjustment on the digital copy for future reference for potential clone build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      I was surprised the scramjet top piece was narrow. Good to know I'm not the only one. The width of the side-by-side BT-5 tubes should have been easy to measure. I'm going to double check it and let Bill at BMS know for his laser cut O.T. fin sheets.

      Delete