Sunday, December 30, 2018

TOP TEN BUILDS for 2018, Part 1

Each year I look back on the builds and pick the Top Ten.
These countdown from 10 to 1, from the worse to the best kits.
Some choices are personal and might not agree with your experience.
But, it's my blog . . . so there!




10. Model Missiles LEDUC 22
Sorry, this was a terrible card stock and foam build. I can build most kits, but sometimes you have to throw in the towel and admit defeat. Badly fitting parts and a few hours lost.
To see the incomplete build: CLICK HERE






9. CMR POP LAUNCH LUGS
I made a few of the old CMR style pop lugs for NARAM 60. These may have helped win competitions in the 1970s, but weren't effective against the piston launchers I saw in August.
For the build: CLICK HERE






8. Estes SCISSOR WING TRANSPORT
This one brought me back to my teens except for the plastic swivel hub and stick on decals. You don't put stickers on a classic model reissue.
For the build: CLICK HERE




7. Estes SAROS Clone
Another rocket I never owned in my teens. It was interesting to replicate the plastic tail cone from tubing, card stock and couplers. Disappointing that it wasn't stable! Nose weight added.
For the build: CLICK HERE




6. Estes MINI MARS LANDER
A fun downscale of the classic kit. The simplified lag details still capture the feel of the original. Even with a clear coat, the old decals were trouble.
For the build: CLICK HERE

The Countdown continues tomorrow!
To see previous Top 10s, do a search for "Top 10"

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,
    I’ll be interested in your opinion of the new Scissor Wing Transport when you fly it. I seem to recall reading complaints about the new plastic hub. I’ve got the new version in storage, just not sure when it might get a place on the build list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      I'd be curious to launch the Scissor Wing model but we lost our NEFAR (big) field in November. Flight results could be a while. I wouldn't want to launch it on the small R.O.C.K. field. That's a B6-4 field for me. Gliders might glide away.

      Delete
    2. I remember you mentioning the loss of the NEFAR field, but didn’t realize your other field was so small. It’s tough. I use to run an elementary school rocket program, back in the 90s. Now our city allows no rockets on any schoolyards or parks. Closest flying is Denver, 60+ miles away. If I win the lottery I’m buying a sod farm. :-)

      Delete