Thursday, March 13, 2014

Estes Reflector Build, Part 2, Engine Mount TIPS

This mount got some filing, cutting and notches for better fit and strength. These are some extra ideas you could add to your next build.

I'm installing replaceable Kevlar in these mounts.
There isn't much room between the outside wall of the 20 size engine tube and the main air frame BT-50 tube. Not enough room for a Q-tip guide tube.
The wide green centering ring will get a long slot for passage of the replaceable Kevlar shock cord.

Two narrow side-by-side lines were cut using the aluminum angle to keep them straight.
The middle slot was opened using the side of a square diamond file.


This step is never mentioned in kit instructions but should be done so the pressure of the engine hook won't distort the round blue tube. In the end, the engine installation will be smoother.
On the inside of the green ring, a recess was filed for the engine hook width clearance. This was made directly opposite the Kevlar slot on the outside of the ring.


The finger tab was cut off the engine hook.
The hook was flipped over, the finger tab side was set in the small slot in the tube. I flip over the engine hook so the cleaner square bend is at the bottom.

The engine block got a Bradycros notch to fit better against the upper bend of the engine hook.

Notice the bottom exposed end of the blue tube is dark. That's a ring on medium super glue on the inside and outside of the tube for strength.

3 comments:

  1. Chris, I started this build, mainly because I have the kit and you've already done it on this blog. I do have one tip... I hate the Titebond rectangular mouth for applying glue. What I've done is to purchase (for $2.32 Amazon Prime) 2oz plastic laboratory squeeze bottles that have small round openings to pour the glue. This seems to work fine and the unscrewed opening is the same as Titebond bottles, so filling is easy. You can see them here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5135N2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. One More thing. I got the 4oz bottle with a slightly larger mouth for the Titebond Molding & Trim glue, because I thought it may be thicker.

    After I've had them a little longer (maybe after the reflector build) I'll let you know if I had any issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Scott,
    I've also changed out the rectangular nozzles on the Titebond M&TG bottles.
    I did a blog post on it somewhere. I used a Elmer's White Glue nozzle. It also fits the Titebond bottles. The Elmer's nozzle has a small hole making it harder to squeeze out the thicker Titebond. Still, I have more control of the glue flow.

    ReplyDelete