Sunday, March 9, 2014

Rustoleum Metallic Paint Update Part 2

I used the Rustoleum Metallic Bright Silver on the recent Quest Stiletto build.
One of the problems with most silver or chrome paints is dulling and oil stains from fingerprints.
This metallic silver doesn't tarnish or show fingerprints!
The only downside is it's hard to see if you have an even coverage when spraying outdoors in direct sunlight.

TIP: When spraying this metallic paint you have to be careful over the edges of fins and body tubes. It can "pool up" if the coat is too heavy. It's easily sanded down but you have to spray another coat. Spray on in light layers.

This is not a chrome paint.
The best way to describe it: A grayish paint with very small metallic specs in it. The picture shows it shinier than it is in person.
Still, a great new paint for sport model finishes.
I've used both the black and silver metallics with great results. I'm ordering the red metallic next.
A near goof-proof paint.

2 comments:

  1. I just used some of that paint on an Astron Drifter clone. Great success! I noticed an odd phenomenon, though: The lower part of the rocket that contained the centering ring, motor mount, and boat tail came out more reflective than the parts of the rocket that were just body tube. I don't really care- it's still impressive, it looks like it's moving just sitting there. However, it's also something I'd like to avoid in later builds. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matthew,
    I'm glad the Rusto Metallic paint worked for you.
    For me, the body tube had a bit more gloss than the fin areas. A moot point but interesting. I don't think anybody else would notice.
    I wish I knew what caused the inconsistency. Maybe the card stock boat tail absorbed the paint differently than the body tube. Who knows?
    I'll keep an eye out on future finishes.

    ReplyDelete