Monday, March 17, 2014

Tampa TTRA Launch, March 15, 2014




I don't make the drive over to the Tampa TTRA launches very often. I had a show that evening in nearby Davenport, Florida.
TTRA only has three working LPR pads. If the Scouts show up, those three launchers are very busy.
The Scouts were there today so most waited until they were finishing up. This Scout pack were a good group. They let the TTRA club members ahead in the line and offered up hamburgers and hot dogs for all! 

On the right is Lonnie Buchanon's upscale Bandit.
It's a 3 engine, 18mm cluster in a BT-80 body.
He flew it a few times, the first launch with C5-3s!
The dramatic, slower launches were appreciated by all.



My CHEROKEE GOON flew with a Quest B6-4 to an estimated 400'.
A textbook flight with no damage on recovery.

I used the burst mode on my camera. There can be some fun house mirror distortion.


My others included the new Odd'l Rockets kit - PIGASUS! with an Estes C6-5. Altitude was estimated at 700'.

The inset picture is the RRR STARLINER launched with a Quest B6-4.
Under the eight sided chrome Mylar parachute it took a while to touch down.
I would guess the altitude to be around 500'.







Here's Bill Gibson with his Estes PATRIOT.
Bill hadn't flown for a while and brought many of the models you've seen in TRF posts including a very nice White Sands V-2.





I finally got to fly my Quest STILETTO.
I was nervous about this one, it was converted for 24mm D engines.
This is not a model easily entered into Open Rocket and too large to swing test.
Some Shrox Stiletto flights have been unstable with 18mm engines.

During assembly .60 ounce of clay weight was pressed into the hollow nose cone. It was prepped with a Estes D12-5.

At launch it was arrow straight with a slow turn during boost.
At apogee the new 18" red and white Odd'l parachute easily opened and set it down without damage. Estimated altitude - 800'.

It was great to see everybody again. I was tired and a little sunburned that night at the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment