Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Nose Cone Retention in a Payload Section TIP

I wanted to be sure I'd never lose the nose cone off the Reflector build payload section.
In years past I've lost a few nose cones off a payload section when the ejection charge fires.
Centrifugal force can pop off even a seemingly tight nose cone.

I don't normally use a tri-fold mount but it seemed the best choice for this.
The nose cone will be tied to the payload tube by a short shock cord.

As explained in an earlier blog post, glue the shock cord onto the card stock at an angle.
When glued this way it will fold and glue flatter inside the body tube. There will be less SC mount to block the ejection of the parachute.



The tri-fold mount was glued inside the payload tube.
The other end tied to a screw eye glued in the nose cone base.

I could even hook an altimeter to a loop tied into the middle of the shock cord. A little bit of padding on either side and I'll be good to go!

EDIT: Looking at this now, I might be better off using a Kevlar line or thick string to retain the nose cone. If the upper nose cone were to come loose on a strong ejection the elastic could could cause it to snap back and make an Estes smile in the balsa.
I simply want to retain the nose cone so elastic wouldn't be necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I use a short length of parachute-shroud grade string--just enough so you can take the nose cone off and extract the payload.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I used a shock cord because it was handy at the time.

    ReplyDelete