Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Quest Stiletto Build Finished!





















This is a BIG model, probably under powered with a C6 engine. Like the earlier Quest Aerospace One, this one will fly with 24mm engines. After some weight comparisons with an 18mm engine mount, .60 oz. of clay was added to the nose cone before gluing the two halves together with plastic cement.

Even with mistakes in the instruction templates and missing decals I like the finished model.
The small rudder was replaced with a piece twice the original size. But after reading about some flight results, I want this one to be stable.
I'll print some black USAF decals to replace the missing ones. The Star and Bar decals use white ink, I probably won't be adding those. The BIG Quest "Q" logo decals weren't used, they were just too big.
It's a good use of the old Nike Smoke nose cone. The intake tube is a strong design element.
I'm looking forward to launching it with D12-5s. I might go with an 18" parachute in place of the 14" Quest chute.

Again I recommend the Rustoleum Metallic silver paint. This is the first metallic paint I've found that doesn't get dull when handled!

2 comments:

  1. As squirrelly as I found it, I think I'll stick to 18mm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff,
      The Stiletto might be okay with a C6-3, a B6-2 would be questionable. With the 18mm mount it could be a good match for the C and D Quest Q-Jets.

      Delete