Monday, October 6, 2014

Finished Models from Scott Johnson

An email from Scott,
Chris,
I read somewhere that you don’t get to see many of your creations completed, so I thought I show you two+.


In the picture below from left to right is:
·        Your Black Brandt VB – It came out great then for some reason I decided to edge the cut lines with Sharpie. In paper modeling that is done all the time to hide the white lines, but I think the images are more complex so it blends well. On the rocket with the color scheme it just shows the bleed a little bit. It’s flight ready with an ¼ A engine.
·        A regular mosquito from the Mega Mosquito pack – Ready with too loose with a ¼ A Engine.
·        A scratch built mosquito with MMX guts and streamer and your Mini Brute decals – Thanks for those.
·        A scratch built Quark, with MMX guts and streamer – you’ll note it only has three fins and not four like the original. That was so the MMX would be more effective in gaining altitude.
·        The Last two are Fliskits Do-Hickey and Pay Day – Do you know which paint I used on the payload portion of the last rocket?

Thanks for help, paint recommendations, decals and printouts with three out of six rockets in my mini fleet collection. In my larger fleet you helped with the AGM Striker and Reflector.
Ohh, I just grabbed the, “Estes Collectors Series MARS SNOOPER kit #2063” off e-Bay, which I know you did and will help me tremendously.  

Thanks again, 
Scott Johnson

Thanks Scott! I do appreciate the pictures.
Your finished builds look great. I'm glad the "Mini Brute" decals worked out.
I've only flown the Black Brant VB with 1/2 A and A engines so far. Stable and high.
I'll have to wait to launch my Mosquito. I'm ordering some 1/4A3-3t engines. Hobby Lobby doesn't carry them.
That looks like the Rusto Metallic on the payload section!
That Mars Snooper is a challenge. Good luck with all the shrouds and vanes!

3 comments:

  1. Hey that's me :-)

    At this point all birds but the pay day have flown and no damage to any. We have a small park so the MMX stuff is getting a work out.

    Another problem with the Black Brandt VB, besides the sharpie incident, is that I applied clear coat after it was built. No biggie, but correct me if I'm wrong, I should have applied to clear coat to the entire page the rocket was printed on, then (let dry) cut and build.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also see then engines in some of the rockets - those are ready to fly. Essentially, I prep a rocket for flight a ways in advance, thus if it has an engine it also has wadding, chute or streamer packed in correctly, etc. That way I just needs an igniter and launch pad when I want to let the kids launch them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Scott,
    Next time you'd be best off to print, clear coat then build the model.
    You just have to clear coat the print side, that leaves the backside clear for gluing.
    I tend to pre-prep models ready for flight. I'm always ready for a schoolyard launch or club launch. Wadding and engines are in, igniters go in at the launch.

    ReplyDelete