Friday, March 25, 2011

Mini Big Bertha PDF Now Available!


Here's the latest downscale:

The Estes
BIG BERTHA
Over the years, the Big Bertha paint pattern has changed. This one is from the 1969 Estes Catalog.
I remember this catalog page well. It was one of the few full color pages in that year's catalog. Most of the other rockets shown were airbrushed and printed as a duotone. (two color print)
On the other hand, the Big Bertha was an actual photograph of a finished rocket. It really stood out against the other products.

Bob Harrington has already made a carded "Mini-Brute" version of the Big Bertha. This version is BT-5 based and stands 7 1/2" tall.
Many of my downscales have a "skin" you print and wrap around a BT-5 or BT-20. This makes the model stronger than a cardstock rolled tube. It's also easier to fit a standard nose cone in an actual body tube. Sometimes a hand rolled tube can have slight variations in diameter.
Instead of spray adhesive, this time I used a Glue Stick to adhere the wrap around the body tube. I might be on to something here, the finished results were good.
I have built Bob Harrison's version a few years back and have flown it many times with MicroMaxx engines. I wanted to downscale this one to fly with the 1/2A3-4t engines I recently bought from the ScoutStuff.com sale.

These pictures are of my first draft. The available PDF has had some subtle changes made to better match the catalog picture. The changes were made after setting the finished rocket beside the catalog page.
If you've never built a carded rocket, you are missing out! I'm always surprised by how strong the laminated cardstock fins are. And, no painting - except for the nose cone.
Open Rocket says it'll get to 190 feet on a 1/2A3-2t engine.
With a A3-4t engine it could reach 485 feet.

If you are a Patreon supporter, email me at: oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and I'll send you the PDF!

No comments:

Post a Comment