Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Starlight Jayhawk Build Part 1 Parts

This build will be a little different. I wanted to replicate the look of the older Centuri Jayhawk. While the Starlight version doesn't have a tail cone, we'll add one.
A flare tube with half nose cone will be added.

On the decals there is no white behind the stars and bars art. We'll try a new technique suggested on TRF to add the white base color.

The Centuri Jayhawk was 12.50" tall and .908" diameter - Series 8 tubing.
The Starlight Jayhawk is 13.375" tall and .976 diameter - BT-50 based.
Going by the tube diameters, my upscale factor is 1.073.
This will not be a true scale model, but something closer to the Centuri version I had years back.

I went to PayloadBay.com HERE to get a boat tail shroud.
The two tube diameters are entered along with the new scaled length of the shroud, being 1.91" long. I printed three shroud copies on 110 lb. cardstock.

I also worked from the original Centuri instructions HERE along with the Magnum Jayhawk instructions HERE.

I know the Starlight version well. I drew up the newer instructions for Mr. Bob.

4 comments:

  1. Just taking notes and sticking them here for the moment. I used a caliper and measured my Starlight Jayhawk. Trying to figure this out...

    The outside diameter of the engine mount. Using the Caliper I get 18.8mm (this seems right as the inner diameter fits 18mm engines).

    Measurements of the body tube taken from the caliper 24.75mm

    Length = 1.91" long

    So I'll start with this.
    Tube 1 Diameter: 18.8mm
    Tube 2 Diameter: 24.75mm
    Length of Transition: 1.91 inches
    110lb Card Stock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      The Starlight Jayhawk was semi scale at best. Good for you taking it to the next level. I hope you got the newer instructions. I drew those up for Starlight.

      Delete
  2. Cutting the boat tail with a blade did not work that well, so I switched to my smallish German made scissors. With the scissors I was able to split the black printed line down the middle with all three attempts. Scissors are definitely the way to go when cutting curved cardstock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Updated Measurements:

    Tube 1 Diameter: 18.750mm
    Tube 2 Diameter: 24.500mm
    Length of Transition: 48.514mm
    110lb Card Stock

    ReplyDelete