Thursday, March 31, 2011

Starlight Jayhawk Build Part 13 Flare Tube Half Cone

For the flare tube you'll need a half nose cone for the top.
I used a Quest MicroMaxx (#9528) nose cone.
I've drawn a pencil line around the nose cone where I want it to split.


Rather than just pushing a knife through from the shoulder forward, I usually pre-score the line with a knife around the perimeter of the nose cone.
Sometimes balsa won't split right down the grain line. Cutting a shallow line down the pencil line will guarantee a clean split down where I want it.





Notice I split the nose cone wider than needed, to one side of the center line. This insures a better fit against the body tube.






Wrap 400 grit sandpaper around the body tube and sand the nose cone back to match the tube contour. After sanding, here's the fit in the half body tube.





The front of the nose cone is rounded to the correct shape shown on the Centuri Magnum Jayhawk plans. It's shown next to the original Quest MMX nose cone.

No comments:

Post a Comment