Monday, March 21, 2011

Taking Pictures - Lone Wolf Launching

In an Email, I was asked how I take launch pictures.
In my case - it's a lot of luck.

I don't take launch pictures at the monthly section launches. I can't get close enough and my camera only has a 4X zoom.
I leave those lift-off pictures to the guys with the good cameras with faster shutter speeds.

When launching at the nearby soccer field, I'm usually alone or "Lone Wolf Launching". But, I am closer to the launcher and might get a shot right after ignition.

I had to develop a coordination of the left hand launch controller and right hand camera.
The picture shows how I would position my left hand. This is a newer Estes Controller.
  1. Set your shutter speed for a fast setting and turn your camera 90 degrees for a "portrait" frame. This'll give you a taller picture and a better chance of capturing the rocket going up the long rod.

  2. My left hand index finger is pressing down the Safety Key to get a Continuity Light.

  3. My right hand holds the camera. My digital camera requires you to press the shutter button down halfway so the camera can lock on the desired object.

  4. Keep holding the camera shutter button halfway down.

  5. Countdown and press the launch button on the controller with your left hand thumb.

  6. When you hear that first "hiss" of the motor ignition, press the shutter button down all the way and you'll hear the click of the exposure.

It's not easy to coordinate this the first few times.
I guess all those years of accordion lessons are finally paying off.

No comments:

Post a Comment