Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Model Profile Semroc Nighthawk

It was designed by Gene Street and available from Estes from 1967 through 1973. The catalog number was K-34.

I can remember seeing this boost glider for the first time in the second Estes 1969 catalog. When I got into rocketry, Estes ran out of the standard color cover catalogs. They released a 8 1/2" X 11" black and white edition with the catalog pages reduced. But the Nighthawk stood out even when shot down to half it's catalog listing.


If a boost glider could be called "sexy" this would be the one they were talking about.
Check out the wings - you can see the airfoil on the wing tips. It took some time to sand, I don't think I could have pulled it off when I was 13.



The pod connection was tricky. That dowel has to fit correctly into the front of the glider. Add the trapezoid side alignment pieces and you are in for a building challenge.



The front fins on the pod are used for trim during the boost. They are on a thin aluminum hinge sandwiched between two outside pieces of balsa.

I have yet to fly this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment