Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Semroc IQSY Tomahawk Build Part 11 Launch Lug


The body tube was marked for the four fins and launch lug.

The rear of the fins are glued .150" from the end of the body tube.

I decided to use a forward wrap of masking tape around the body tube and align the front fin tip along this tape edge.


After I had glued the first fin in place, I realized I should have glued the engine mount in beforehand. I wanted the engine mount end to be flush with the rear of the main body tube to more closely match the scale drawings.

With one fin already in place the mount was glued in. The flat bottom of my sanding block was used to press it in place and insure it was flush and even.



I did a little more backtracking after gluing that first fin in place.

The instructions tell you to glue the launch lug 1/2" from the back end of the tube. This is a smaller diameter, ST-8 body tube. I could foresee that fillets around the lug would be hard to make with the fins in place.

I removed the one fin I had already glued in place to add fillets to the launch lug.

If I were to do build this model again, I would glue the lug farther up the tube.
After it was glued and fillets applied, I realized this lug placement would be in the way of the reinforcement plates! I'll make adjustments to the plates so they'll fit around the lug later.

No comments:

Post a Comment