Friday, September 16, 2016

And The Winner Is?

I've been an entertainer for years. Apparently I'm not the only person who felt this way . . . 
Some thoughts on the America's Got Talent Finals last night.
The Ukulele Girl was a cute 12 year old. She sang original songs and knew a few chords on the Ukulele. A million dollar act? No. Not an "act" seasoned through years and thousands of performances.
Does EVERY performance have to get a standing ovation? That used to be the hallmark of an outstanding show, not a reflex stretch by the audience.
Tape Face was an original. Name, look, bits, you see a routine and walk away remembering it all. The runner-up "Clairvoyants" were great. The three finalist singers could sing!
If you do a Las Vegas style show you have to have at least a solid hour of material. The Ukulele girl is a five minute filler act.
The runner up acts have the shows. I've worked with some of them before on cruise ships.

I just read the America's Got Talent had record viewers. With finales like this they may have a smaller audience next year.

Sorry to vent - I've been there, done that.

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more! I couldn't even understand any of the words she was singing. Several of the other acts seemed to be more legitimate acts. I was partial to the Sinatra act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim,
      He had a great voice. I wish I could sing like that!

      Delete
  2. Television is just not the same without banjo players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      When you think about it, nothing is the same without a banjo. In the past people have said: "You should do that America's Got Talent show". I'd never make the first round!
      I've known quite a few who have done the show. Problem is, you sign up to audition and basically sign your whole act over to them! They own a big percentage of everything you do or make for years!

      Delete