Thursday, September 29, 2016

Semroc (Estes) Starship Excalibur Build, Part 3, Engine Mount Assembly



I dry fit the centering rings to find the center point. This is where I place the tape wrap.

The rings were a little loose and would move when smoothing out the glue fillets.
You can lightly tack them in place with thin CA. After you are sure of their positions and straightness follow up with glue fillets.

The aft ring is 1/2" away from the end of the engine mount tube. This is important for the shroud location later on.




The Kevlar end loop goes under the top bend of the engine hook.

The kit didn't include an engine block.
I added a 5/20 centering ring.

2 comments:

  1. The Kevlar lop under the engine hook is a cool idea. Building the Break-Away was the first time I had seen this technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      That's actually something I saw in the Semroc kits. I also liked it and added it to my models when I can. It's a little easier than the loop under the centering ring. Tied under the engine hook bend, the Kevlar isn't going anywhere! The centering ring also "locks" it in if glued just under the Kevlar knot.

      Delete