Monday, September 5, 2016

Dr. Zooch MR Little Joe I Fix

Sometimes repairs sit for a year while I figure out a good way to fix them.
After making trim spray paint decals for the latest MR Little Joe I used the same trim on my older Dr. Zooch Little Joe I.

I built a BT-60 based Dr. Zooch Little Joe I in 2010. Back then I didn't know about spray paint decals. Instead I painted some copy paper orange, cut strips and glued them on the fins. It's the same idea as the sprayed decals but not as thin. The Dr. Zooch models have printed card stock wraps. I looked on the orange fin edges as another piece of painted paper trim. White glue didn't hold and some trim pieces peeled off.
I decided to replace them with some of the leftover orange decal material from the recent Enerjet Little Joe I build.

The remaining old orange trim was peeled off. They came off clean and easily.

New orange decal strips were cut and applied. I had to use some Pledge acrylic under the rear edges again.

The "decal" edges were less noticeable and adhered much better than the first attempt using sprayed copy paper.

TIP: You'll get the best results spraying over the white decal sheets. While you can make spray decals using clear sheets, the white decal sheet will be slightly thicker and easier to transfer onto your model. When you think about it, spray paint on a clear transfer sheet is only as thick as a coat of paint!





Repaired and Done!
This version is smaller than the Enerjet News Little Joe I and the same scale as the Dr. Zooch Mercury Redstone kit. You do build the tower from dowels on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment