Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Estes Gemini Titan #1978 Build, Part 6, Nozzles 2

Well, how can you mask something like this?
There is no way to get masking tape around the nozzles being so close and the nozzle bands are in the way!

I took the easy way out and used a permanent Sharpie marker.

The marker tip fits into the groove between the nozzle bands.
The nozzle on the right shows the first blackened band.

Here's how the finished nozzles came out.

The inside of the nozzles were "brush" painted using a Q-tip dipped in the silver/aluminum paint.
After the interior was painted and dried I made one more pass over the nozzle lip with the Sharpie.


  1. One of those things that looked a bit odd with the display nozzle piece is it looks a bit bare without the framework around it. However thinking about it, there would probably be some concern that the twisting force you'd apply on the nozzle piece to attach and detach it might be just enough that you could dislodge the rod pieces used to replicate the framework.

    1. Hi Naoto,
      Good point about why they kept it simple. You could add more details to it and twist it in place by holding onto just the widest end of the nozzles.