Sunday, September 4, 2016

Ruh, Roh! My PayPal Might Be Suspended!

We've all got emails from some Prince in the Middle East that needs our help to get his funds out of a bank. For our assistance we get thousands of dollars deposited right to our bank account.
"Just send us your account numbers and passwords so we can start the transfer."

Here's a new one, from "PayPal"

Dear Esteemed Member,
For the safety and integrity of the PayPal account we have issued this warning message.
It has come to our attention that your account information needs to be updated due to inactive members, frauds and spoof reports.
To update your PayPal records kindly CLICK HERE or visit http://www.paypal.com/us to update your account.
Failure to update your profile will result in account suspension.
Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

Copyright © 1999-2016 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Always check the email address. This one included something like Jed@centurylink.net
Certainly not from PayPal.
______________________________________________________________________

A small percentage of people must be falling for these, they keep sending them out.
If I were to send a response, it would be this:

Surry,
I'em knot stoopud enuf to fell fer dis.

Loked in da bassment.

4 comments:

  1. It's also amusing to check
    where the link would take you. It's almost always somewhere outside the US. I guess PayPal moved to Russia or some other place far away. Even sadder, there will plenty of rubes that will fall for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      I'm always wary about clicking on strange links. I'm just a little surprised these scams still exist. Like you wrote, they are there because people fall for them.

      Delete
  2. Yep, I too have received a number of E-mails regarding my PayPal account -- when I didn't have a PayPal account.

    I've received a number E-mails claiming to be from the FBI, with a contact phone number that starts with 011-234... Hrm, I didn't know the FBI had offices in Nigeria...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other classic one I've been getting on the answering machine is the one purporting to be from an investigation department of the IRS, claiming that some serious criminal charges and that an arrest warrant has been issued, and that I should contact them to clear up the matter before the local police are contacted. ... riiight. ... On some occasions I've received different calls, with *different* callers -- both claiming to be the same agent. Lately the ones I've been getting are of a synthesized voice. On a few occasions I've looked up phone number they leave. At least it's a number in D.C. ... but a mobile number -- registered to a "marketing" company...

    ReplyDelete