Saturday, September 10, 2016

Rusto Paint Conversation at Home Depot

I was out of yellow paint for the upper half of the Alien Invader build. I stopped by Home Depot.

Somebody else was also looking for yellow paint. As we both checked out the three available shades of yellow, he said: "Too many choices!"
I responded: "You have pretty good luck with the Rustoleum 2X paints?" He said: "Yeah, for the most part. Once in a while it sprays out like sand!"

That opened up a larger conversation. His name is Paul and he restores old metal toys from the 1930s. I told him about my rocketry paint experiences with the 2X paint.
He agreed that the gloss white was occasionally trouble.

He (like me) he said accepts the risk using Rustoleum 2X. It's inexpensive, great variety of colors and can get a great gloss. Compared to results from other brands like Valpspar, Krylon or Color Place, it's the lesser of all evils.

6 comments:

  1. I've been using old formula Krylon white as my base coat and for white rockets. It's still available as industrial paint. It's lacquer, and I haven't had problems using the 2x over it for color coats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,
      Getting the old formula Krylon Industrial might be the best solution. Thanks for reminding me, I might just do that. I use white more than any other color. The only drag is you have to buy six cans at one time. Where do you order your Krylon Industrial from?

      Delete
  2. As for yellows, I do wish Rusto had more choices in the 2X variety. The only two I find usually are the Sunrise (or is it Sunburst?), the really light color you and I used on the Quest Magnum Sport Loader, and the Marigold.

    I do love the Marigold, but it's a little orangey, and the Sunblast is very light. I wish there were a choice closer to "true yellow," for those in-between jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      The Sun Yellow used on the Alien Invader and Quest Magnum seemed to be a correct yellow tint, to me anyway. Home Depot had three yellows to choose from.

      Delete
  3. I have had the Rusto 2X fail (spatters paint) when the can was cold. When the can is warm, I haven't (yet) had a problem. Has anyone else noticed a correlation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eero,
      I've had the gloss white 2X paint do the cottage cheese rough spray in both warm and colder weather. Granted it rarely gets very cold in Florida.
      The gloss black 2X can also send out small blobs of paint on occasion.

      Delete