Tuesday, October 23, 2018

A Run-in at the N.E.F.A.R. Monthly

On October 13 I had an interesting interaction with a another flyer.
While waiting for the next rack, a flyer talked up his 3D printed model. He was pleased with his work. Larger than a BT-60 diameter, it looked thick and heavy. I asked which engine he was going to use. He said: "A D12-7.
I asked to see it to feel the weight. It felt like it weighed a pound.

I suggested: "That seems like a long delay. You might want to go with a D12-3. With a seven second delay it could be on the ground before the ejection charge goes off."
He followed: "I'm not worried about that, I'm just checking stability." Laughing he added: " My last model came in and stuck itself into the ground."
I saw that previous flight after hearing a "Heads Up!" It came in nose first and hit hard near the parked cars.
I said: "I don't want to argue, just check with the RSO.
He raised his voice and said angrily: "I don't want to argue with you either!" He stormed off.
I never raised my voice or insulted him. I just didn't want anybody (or a car) to be hit by a heavy rocket from an inexperienced flyer.

(The rocket pictured above was not the rocket described. It's just a picture I found online.)

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that was not the way to take advice from someone as experienced as you are. When I finished me partially 3D printed Saros clone that Leo Nutz designed the plastic parts for, the first thing I did was weigh it. At about 3.5 ounces, it weighed a lot kress than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      He had no way of knowing I've been doing this for years. I could tell he was new into rockets. He was ticked that I didn't show the same excitement over his heavy, 3F / NC rocket.

      Delete
  2. Folks who KNOW they're not doing things the right way, typically, protest the loudest when it's pointed out. One personality trait I possess that I'm thankful for is realizing when I don't know something .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      'Aint that the truth. He was wrong and didn't leave without others within earshot knowing about it.

      Delete
  3. Hey, Chris,
    Kudos that you took the high road and didn't deal any further with this fellow. I certainly hope the RSO put the kee-bosh on that one. It's just that type of individual who could jeopardize our sterling safety record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      I normally wouldn't say anything but we had stand-in RSOs at the last NEFAR launch. They did a great job but probably weren't checking things as close.
      Great launch report on your blog!

      Delete
  4. "Just checking stability" is no excuse for letting a rocket come in ballistic like that.

    I only have experience flying with one club, but I'm surprised the safety check in didn't tell him he couldn't fly with that motor. A D12-anything is way too little motor for a one pound rocket! Of course, nobody's perfect, and I've seen one or two things slip by safety check by accident. I once heard a cluster announced with "One B6-4 and three B6-0's." I was off to one side and only had time to say, "Wait, what?" before the launch button was pushed. Of course, with three booster motors in that cluster, there was no coast phase. The rocket survived, but it was a bad flight.

    Still, in the movies, they say that "continuity is everyone's job," and in rocketry, club safety is everybody's responsibility. Good for you for saying something. That guy will probably either learn quickly not to mouth off to experienced flyers, or he'll stop coming around altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      Enjoying your Father and Son videos on Facebook.
      Safety checks weren't real tight that day. Our regular RSO wasn't there and we had stand-ins.
      I hate to butt in, this guy didn't know (or care) what he was doing.

      Delete
  5. I am not inclined to go to NEFAR if I am risking my vehicle or life in the process. Rockets have to be built frangible. They have to breakup upon impact to minimize damage to the environment--not become anti-vehicle or anti-people rockets.
    Back in the late 1980s, the State of New Jersey retired its rocket permit requirement due to lobbying by my old section GSSS and economics. The one thing I did like about that old rocket code was the requirement that the plastic used to build the rockets be frangible. That notion has gotten lost in century 21 with the advent of carbon fiver, epoxy, and other impact resistant materials.

    ReplyDelete