Sunday, October 7, 2018

Launch! Orlando R.O.C.K., October 6, 2018

Finally - A dry week and a dry field! Orlando R.O.C.K. hasn't had a launch in a few months.

I pulled out my Odd'l SPUTNIK for the anniversary. The A10-3t got it to 125' with featherweight recovery.

The MicroMaxx BLUE BIRD ZERO was next. The MMX engine lofted it to 80'. Streamer recovery brought it back with no damage.


Roger and Bracha Smith (JonRocket.com) had their first launch of a D12 Akavish Spider.

Boost was very stable but the ejection charges proved a bit strong for the small body cavity.







An A10-3t engine turned my CONROC into melted popcorn! I was surprised I caught the Cato picture. I won't be flying this one again!









I built a new, tall rocket from two 18" lengths of Odd'l heavy-wall BT-20H  tubing, it's one skinny rocket with a tube wall that  won't crimp.
The SPACED NEEDLE did well with on A8-3 to about 175'. This model was designed for the new Q-Jet Cs.






Tom Dennon brought his Zooch Space Shuttle for a flight with a C6-3. He added lots of detail with upgrade body wrap prints.
His Estes Air Show also put in an impressive flight.






The first launch of the new Quest STRIKER AGM in the Enertek Astra 2000 decor. A B6-4 gave a textbook launch.
The fins didn't crack along the tail cone joint! All the fitting and different glues may have paid off.
A few Quest Q-Jets were launched today. These were all from the initial run. Delay times seemed long and there were strong ejections.
I launched a Q-Jet A3-4 in a Quest VIPER. Boost is quieter than a BP engine, lots of black smoke. The strong ejection charge snapped the shock cord. I understand the ejection charges have been adjusted now.
Manuel Mejia flew a few Q-Jets. Look close, the black plastic case was a bit heat distorted after this B4-4 flight.
Lonnie Buchanon launched some 1970s era Centuri engines without any problems.



Our club President, Brian Coyle is usually busy with RSO duties. Today he launched his scale Raven.
In another flight his gap staged Estes Indicator got altitude!


Also flown, My Estes CURVILINEAR with an A8-3
I'm looking forward to the upcoming club launches. After the middle of October the Florida humidity drops!

1 comment:

  1. That CATO picture is awesome! Too bad about the rocket though. Wish I’d grabbed a Dr Z Shuttle - though I do have a Lifting Body in my big box o’ Dr Z kits stashed for future builds.

    ReplyDelete