Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Estes New Saturn V Art

From the Facebook Model Rocketry Fanatics page: 
Aldo Spadoni to Model Rocketry Fanatics!!!

"I’m very excited and proud to announce that Estes Industries has licensed my artwork to illustrate and promote their upcoming Apollo 11 50th anniversary Saturn V model rocket kit! Building and flying Estes rockets was a big part of my own childhood, and it certainly nurtured my lifelong commitment to the world of Aerospace. I believe this kit will be 1/200 scale. Thanks to my good pal Rick Sternbach for connecting me with Estes general manager Bill Stine (the son of legendary rocket man G. Harry Stine) to make this happen."

There were some comments about it probably being the 1/100 scale reissue, I would think so.

The artist Aldo added:
"When the folks at Estes first contacted me, they did say the kit would be 1/100 scale. But their most recent communications indicate that it will be 1/200 scale. That's all I know at this point."

I doubt there is a 1/200 sized Saturn V in the works, but you never know.

EDIT: Correction!
Turbofireball comment:
"Chris - If you remember at the Manufacturer's Forum at this years' NARAM, Ellis Langford briefly showed a black Saturn V prototype in a white windowed box. That is the 1/200 ARF/RTF (not sure of designation) that will be coming from Estes in addition to the 1/100 kit. This artwork is for that item, probably because they want to sell it to Target and others. It does have the retro feel of the original box art for the Centuri Saturns."
I remember seeing a prototype in a box but didn't associate that with a Saturn V prototype.

Estes has been hinting about some sort of "bonus" added to the kit. This might be the art for a wall poster, rolled up in the kit box.

7 comments:

  1. Think you guessed it Chris. At least I hope so - though if Estes offers the poster separately that’s ok too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, though I don’t have it handy to check, I think there was something in my last NAR magazine about a smaller Saturn RTF coming soon from Estes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      I checked my back issues of Sport Rocketry and don't see any reference to the smaller, plastic Saturn V. Maybe it's in the next issue that I haven't received yet.

      Delete
  3. Chris-If you remember at the Manufacturer's Forum at this years' NARAM, Ellis Langford briefly showed a black Saturn V prototype in a white windowed box. That is the 1/200 ARF/RTF (not sure of designation) that will be coming from Estes in addition to the 1/100 kit. This artwork is for that item, probably because they want to sell it to Target and others. It does have the retro feel of the original box art for the Centuri Saturns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Turbo -
      Thanks for the info - I've updated the post above.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful package design, as someone who has been an Estes fan all my life, I'm, really looking forward to both sizes. Thanks Estes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Firefinger,
      I still have a 1/100 size Saturn V kit in the box. I'm not a big fan of plastic RTF models, I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person.

      Delete