Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Launch! Soccer Field, November 26, 2019


It was cold with no winds, off to an early launch at the schoolyard.

My Quest VIPER was first up using a Chinese made Quest A6-4 motor. It's always good to check your controller batteries and launcher with something easy and pretty much indestructible. Ignitions seemed slow - I'll have to change out the batteries.

Altitude was a guessed 250' with rip-stop nylon kite tail recovery.





Next up was the Estes 1/100 scale LITTLE JOE II. The launch was very fast with the Estes A10-3t engine. I couldn't get a decent burst shot.
This turned out to be the best flight of the day to an estimated 225'.

I wanted to use the Semroc Sabre parasite boost glider on the Estes SUPER ALPHA. When I took the glider out of my range box, I noticed a tail fin was broken off. I glue it back on and save it for another day.

The Super Alpha had a slow demo style boost with the Estes B6-4 to 325'. Everything was good until ejection







The parachute barely made it out of the end of the body tube! The rocket fell horizontally and slow enough there was no damage.






The Semroc SAM had it's second launch with an Estes A8-3 to 250 feet.









I haven't taken recovery shots until today. The new camera seems better than I initially thought. I tied no tangle shroud lines on this one -





I wouldn't normally launch a rocket this size with a B6-4 at this small field. The old FRANKEN GOBLIN had one of the kite tail nylon streamers packed.
Altitude was good  at about 425'. The wide, colorful streamer brought it back within 100' from the launcher.

Five up, five recovered with just a cracked fin on the Sabre glider. (That one wasn't even flown!)

No comments:

Post a Comment