Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Lawn Dart Rocketry SLAT/S Build, Part 3, Fins

The original kit had 1/16" thick fins, the fairings were cut from 3/32". I made my fins from 3/32" stock.

The fin root edges fit into the slots in the fairings. I cut the notches after the fin was cut out using the end of a single edge razor blade. If your blade is new you should be able to simple press the blade down and through the balsa.



Here's how the larger, upper fin will fit into the slot. The right side of the picture is the forward end of the model.
I used thicker balsa so the slot had to be wider than the patterns showed.


For some reason the tab on the smaller fin was too long for the slot.
The three fairing pieces aren't glued together yet. I made the slot longer on the forward end so the back end of the fin would be even with the taper on the rear of the fairing.








Here's how the three fairing pieces are glued together. It's a little confusing so double check before using any glue.





The upcoming bevel shaping is shown at the bottom.








I used my flipped clothespin clamps to hold the assembly together while the glue dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment