Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Tools - The Essentials, A Decent Sanding Block, Part 2



Here's the bottom plate.
I wish there wasn't holes in the bottom, these didn't seem to effect the tools use. The sandpaper is stiff enough that it didn't "dimple" into the holes.

The pressure clamps hold sandpaper fairly well, not as good as the older wing nut clamp.
But - Using the sticky back sandpaper from Home Depot, the sanding block works very well. It easily peels off!

Without the open ends of the sandpaper wrapped around the edges and under the top clamp, the red handle top wiggles a slight bit.
I took two strips of the sticky backed sandpaper and set them under the clamp top. The top is snapped in place and the handle doesn't move.


If I didn't have the OOP Great Planes blocks, this would be a good second choice. I would probably have two - One with the sticky backed 220 grit sandpaper and a second block with 400 grit.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I have four of the Great Planes sanding blocks I bought when I used to build planes. I have three of the short ones and an 11 inch one that makes quick work of large plywood fins. I see they still make the longer ones. Creative types with the right tools could buy a longer one and cut it down to a more manageable size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am unable to find these for sale anywhere. I guess they were victims of the Hobbico bankruptcy? I was thinking of trying to make one with aluminum angle like you can get at Lowes. I have a Blue Hawk sanding block with the wing nut, which is also OOP. It works fine.

    Philip

    ReplyDelete