Monday, July 2, 2012

LAUNCH! Schoolyard July 1, 2012

Over the past month, my work schedule has conflicted with local group launches.
I went to the schoolyard early on July 1 to get a few flights in. 


The Semroc BATROK flew to 375' with an Estes A3-4t in a Buchanon adapter.

All was good until ejection. It drifted out of the schoolyard and into the perimeter street.
Caught in a low tree, I was able to reach the body. I pulled but the Kevlar and shock cord separated leaving the payload section in the tree.
I came back later with a telescoping branch cutter. One short cut and and I retrieved the upper section. I know - but those trees needed a good trim anyway. 




The Custom NOMAD was next up with an Estes B6-4.
Considering the blunt front end, this model gets a respectable altitude. I would guess 350'.

Full parachute eject and opening with no damage at recovery.





My carded downscale of the Estes A-20 DEMON was next up with an Estes A3-4t engine. Estimated altitude was 400'.

The streamer brought it down quickly, one fin joint was knocked loose on landing.


My 38 year old MPC NIKE PATRIOT flew again with an Estes B6-4.
This model is original with the old MPC parachute. Only the parachute tape strips were replaced.

I would guess the altitude was around 475'.
No damage on recovery, this model is indestructable.




Also flown:
Odd'l Rockets 13mm UP! Cup with a Estes A10-3t engine.

Check out the Third Anniversary Sale at www.jonrocket.com running through July 8, 2012. Up to 50% off!

4 comments:

  1. Say what? Did you use one of my adapters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you hate it when work interferes with your personal life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Lonnie, I use them often.
    They will forever be called "Buchanon adapters." (At least by me, anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Don't you hate it when work interferes with your personal life?"
    Sometimes rockets feel like work! I just bagged up over 100 Odd'l Rockets kits and accessories.
    Everybody wants to start their own rocket company not knowing how much real work is involved.

    ReplyDelete