Monday, July 9, 2012

Odd-Ball Igniter TIP

Just when you think you've got it all figured out -
I had a hard time connecting up the clips to the engine sitting up inside my Odd'l Rockets 13mm UP! Cup at a recent launch.

With the rocket high up on my camera tripod, the old micro clips wouldn't grip the igniter wires.
I pulled the engine out to attach the clips and then (hopefully) slide the engine back inside the rocket with the clips still attached. Even with the igniter wires bent in a tight "U" shape, no luck!
After two more attempts I tried something new.
Years back I used to pull the tape retainer off the igniter wire. I leave the tape on now and even write the engine designation on the white side of the tape.
Look close at the picture. With the engine out of the rocket, I stuck half of the clip under the white side of the tape retainer. The tape was pressed down over the clip giving a more positive "held" contact with the igniter wire.
With the rocket already down the launch rod, the engine was slid back inside the rocket. The clips held on the igniter and the model was launched.
This method isn't recommended or needed on most models. But, for an Odd-Ball UP! Cup or Semroc Point it could help getting the clips connected to a short lead Estes igniter. Normally I'd use the longer lead Quest Q2G2 igniter on a recessed engine model.

No comments:

Post a Comment