Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Midget Clone Build Part 10 Transition

You'll have to draw a glue tab to the shroud pattern from the Payload Bay website. Sometimes I'll add a tab cut separate from the shroud so there won't be a raised seam. On this model it won't matter. A fin root edge will go right beside the raised seam hiding the raised side.

The Transition Tool only prints up one shroud on the sheet. I cut it from the center and taped it to the blank area of the card stock. I'll cut through two layers of card stock using the upper print as a guide. This way I make two shrouds from one sheet of card stock.

I made four and dry fitted each one to find the best fitting shroud.

The shroud was just a hair wide on the BT-50 side.
Here I'm sanding down the wide side of the shroud to make the diameter smaller.
This also sands down any high areas and will make for a better fit against the end of the BT-50 tube.



A thin line of glue was run around the back of the centering ring and the rear of the BT-20 engine mount tube. The srhoud was slid on until the narrow end was even with the edge of the motor mount tube.
Don't use much glue! It can shrink as it dries and can pucker the card stock.


Before the glue on the shroud set up, the mount was glued into the BT-50.

I was working against the clock here. I wanted the glue a little wet around the wide edge of the shroud so I could "mold" it to the BT-50 tube edge.

With the glue still wet, the card stock is pliable. A clean dowel was rolled over the edge to press it into the glue and to closer match the diameter of the BT-50.
Keep rolling the dowel until the glue sets up.

No comments:

Post a Comment