Saturday, September 8, 2012

Midget Clone Build Part 12 Launch Lug and Standoff

Today I'm doing Blog entries from a Tim Horton's (good coffee!) in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Sydney is a quaint town. Nothing too polished here, lots of small homes and original architecture. The residents seem  relaxed and nobody is trying to over-impress.


I had thought about cutting the lug and standoff to match the angle of the leading edge of the fins.

When dry fitting and checking the angles, I can see the cut would be too long and sharp. I'll just leave the lug as it is, as long as the root edge of the sustainer fins.

About this time in a build I start thinking about colors.
The 1970 catalog doesn't give much to go on.








I did a few Internet searches and remembered this face card art.
Back in the early 1970s, all the Estes kits had this two color face card with the "airstream" being split at the nose cone.

It might be interesting to incorporate this into the paint scheme.

2 comments:

  1. The airstream scheme is a great idea. I loved seeing those face cards in the store when I was a kid. They still make me smile when I see them on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lonnie,
    The paint schemem in the old Midget catalog pictures weren't very interesting, just blue and white.
    If I'm not doing a repro of the face card scheme, I wanted this one to reflect some art of that era.

    ReplyDelete