Saturday, September 1, 2012

Midget Clone Build Part 5 Nose Cone Prep

I can hear the voices: "Why do you bother, nobody will see it anyway!" 

It's just me. I like the interior of my models to be as clean as the exterior.
I spend some extra time on engine mounts and shock cord anchors. If they are built strong and clean, they'll function better and last a lot longer.

On the left is the nose cone shoulder as it was received in the clone kit.


I used 220 grit on a sanding block to remove the heel "bump".
The shoulder sides were rounded with 400 grit over my finger.

The center was marked before the screw eye was screwed in.
I also add a little glue around the sides of the hole.

2 comments:

  1. "Why do you bother, nobody will see it anyway!"

    Yeah, nobody else will see it but YOU see it every time you prep that rocket for flight or have to repair it, and from that comes pride of ownership.

    The service you do for the rocket community is show people optimum builds. This is the rocket equivalent to hot rod magazines that cover project cars. Not everyone has the time, money or technical prowess to build the exact same way, but they can pick and choose which tips work for them. Everybody gains.

    So keep sanding the back of nose cones. It makes all of us kick our building standards up a notch.

    ReplyDelete