Thursday, September 27, 2012

New Estes Launcher Design in Starter Set - Coming Soon!

Estes has a new launcher shown in the "Coming Soon" tab on their website.

Check out the "Hunter’s Choice" Starter kit to see the new plastic launcher and controller.
http://www.estesrockets.com/coming-soon/001401-hunter-s-choice-launch-settm
It’s molded in the old Estes orange plastic. I had orange and yellow Porta Pads years ago.

The launcher looks to be a low center of gravity design with three interlocking legs. Missing are the "lightning bolts". The girder design is more reminiscent of the original Porta Pad.
Instead of a rectangular controller "box", the new controller is more like the Centuri designs from the 1970s.

The two rockets in the Starter Set are the "Magnum Load" and "Short Round" Both have clear fins units. The rockets resemble upscaled bullet casings.

Personally, I don’t know if this is a good image for the hobby. I grew up around model rockets and guns. (I am not anti NRA)
Someone who doesn’t know model rocketry may not view launching a large "bullet" as being safe. Estes recently produced a RTF model called the "Fuse" I question that name as well. As far back as I can remember, model rockery has tried to distance itself from fireworks. In my mind, the word "fuse" suggests lighting a firework with a match.
Just my opinion -

No comments:

Post a Comment