Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Cherokee Goon Build, Part 5, Wet Sanding



I did do some wet sanding on the Cherokee Goon.

Here's how the fin looked after the last heavier final coat of white.
The gloss is good but there is some slight pebbling on the surface.
Wet sanding should be called "damp sanding". You don't want any water to get in or on a unpainted, unsealed surface. Don't let water run down and inside the body tube!
Dip the sandpaper in water and shake off the excess. Sand lightly.

When I wet sand I don't take it completely down to the surface.
I sand with 400 grit just dulling the sheen.
I sand enough to rough up the surface knocking down the spray "pebbles".

I was careful not to sand off the final coat of color. Be careful near the edges,  you don't want to sand off the paint and primer down into the raw balsa.

TIP: If you have complete even color coverage you can use a clear coat right now!
I'm still having great success with the Americana Clear Sealer / Finisher.

Spray it on a little wet, not heavy enough to run.
When spraying try to get an even gloss cover. Hold it up to a bright light to check for an even coverage.

The only downside to the Americana Clear Sealer is heat and humidity. At an August launch the clear finish got a little tacky in the heat. But then again, I've had other paints do the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment