Saturday, October 29, 2016

New Estes Packaging





I was picking up some B6-4 engines at Hobby Lobby today, using a 40% off coupon. I noticed one of the new starter sets.


On the back of the box was a small picture of the new engine packs. These look to be the two-engine packages mentioned before: CLICK HERE

There were no two engine packs at my Hobby Lobby store - yet.
Two 18mm engines per package? I've always bought engines in three and four packs. I've yet to purchase 24mm engines in the newer two packs.
I don't see these as being any more efficient or less expensive.

2 comments:

  1. No changes are ever made to retail packaging to make things cheaper. They will portray that illusion, but it won't really be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going from 3-pack to 2-pack allows one give the illusion of lower "price-per-pack," (but could still allow a nominal per-unit price increase). Sounds almost like that idea I remember being floated around back in the 1970s of reconfiguring the gas pumps in the USA to use litres rather than gallons.
    1. Illusion of lower prices (since a litre is slightly more than a quart, the price-per-unit would seem like it was quartered).
    2. Allows some older gas pumps that couldn't deal with prices over 99cents per gallon to still be used (until prices hit around 3.78 per gallon -- of course "we're not expecting that to happen anytime soon")
    3. Another step toward "metrification." Of course you'll end up with silly mish-mash of systems of units (imagine hearing "miles per litre").

    Speaking of the "metrification" push from the 1960s and 1970s in the USA -- schools were focusing more on teaching conversions (making the system appear very complex) rather than how the system worked. It wasn't until I was in 9th grade in 1979 (in the Introduction to Physical Science course) did I finally get a proper introduction to the metric system (and my reaction was "why the heck didn't they do this in the first place?").

    ReplyDelete