Friday, March 3, 2017

Estes Skydart II #3229 Build, Part 10, Filler Weight

We all know that filler and paint can shorten a gliders air time.
That's where I have a problem, this isn't a competitive glider. I like my models to be smooth and shiny, like in the catalog pictures. How can you expect the supplied decals to stick on a rough surface?
I was curious to see how much weight the CWF balsa filler would add.



After smooth sanding, here's the main pieces to be filled.
The scale shows .93 ounces.

Here's the same three pieces with CWF brushed on. The CWF has dried and is not sanded to surface yet.
The weight is now 1.35 ounces, an increase of .42 ounces.
And finally after sanding to surface the weight is 1.06 ounces.
The CWF added a little over 1/10 ounce or .13 ounces.
The added filler weight was much less than I thought it would be. I can live with that.
This small increase in weight might amount to a half turn of the elevator adjustment screw.
Paint will also add weight . . .

2 comments:

  1. How well did that lightweight spackle stuff you used in the Mach 10 build work? Perhaps that and blue and white dope might keep weight to a minimum. Don't know if it'll give you a glossy shine though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bar,
      That Mach 10 was for a client, I never flew it. The lighter weight spackle stuff was very hard to apply. I didn't want to mess with the large wing surface on the Skydart.
      I haven't used dope in years! I see the price for a small bottle and cringe. That would seal the wood but trying to fill the grain on the Skydart would take three bottles of the stuff.
      Brushing never gives me an even finish.

      Delete